Welcome to my Blog! As you may have guessed, this blog started out as an experiment, but has turned into a way of living. It is mostly about food, but I reserve the right to share or rant or even point the odd finger. I hope you find it entertaining! I encourage your comments and questions!

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Propoganda at School

My son came home from grade 3 today with propoganda from the Dairy Council.  It's a sticker that says that milk helps your kids stay healthy, alert and ready to learn.  This is a pet peeve of mine....  why is the Dairy Council allowed to advertise their products in schools?  And who gave them the responsibility of educating our kids on a healthy diet?  I try to tell my kids that we're not going to eat dairy products because they're not good for you, and at school they are learning that dairy products are one of the 4 basic food groups.  If you contradict the school on this particular issue, does this give the kids the right to question the school on whether or not math and science are important to learn?   It's good for kids to question authority sometimes, but how do you disagree with the teacher on this issue without undermining her/his authority? 

On a lighter note...  I made a chickpea masala for dinner with salad and my 15 year old daughter and her friend ate every bite!  I'm just happy that I got her to eat something other than bagels and tomato soup.  It almost makes up for her not being willing to try my green smoothy this morning.  If only the little one hadn't spilt the beans about the spinach hiding in there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment