Welcome to my Blog! As you may have guessed, this blog started out as an experiment, but has turned into a way of living. It is mostly about food, but I reserve the right to share or rant or even point the odd finger. I hope you find it entertaining! I encourage your comments and questions!

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Happy Sushi Day

This weekend was my son's 8th birthday party.  I don't know what I was thinking to let him have a sleepover party.  I did this with my daughter, but having little girls sleep over is VERY different that having little boys sleep over.  But, I guess you live and learn. 

I have been wanting and planning to make sushi for quite a while now, and I finally got around to it on Friday!  It was a smashing success on many levels.  First it was fun!  Second it was tasty.  Third, my son helped me make it, and as such was inspired to try it!!  I'm not sure it was full blown love at first bite, but getting him to actually put it into his mouth is a HUGE step! 



So how does one go about making sushi?  First we must hunt down the supplies.  This is actually the hardest part.  You have to use actual sushi rice, and rice vinegar.  Then you need nori papers.  And to me, sushi isn't worth eating without pickled ginger, wasabi and soy sauce.  Many people assume that sushi must contain raw fish.  This simply is not so.  There are so many options.  Just some fish free suggestions are:  shitake mushrooms (fried), avocado, carrots and cucumber (cut in match sticks), and asparagus.

You can find directions to make sushi all over the place.  First cook your sushi rice according to the directions on the package.  Mix rice vinegar with sugar (1Tbsp vinegar and 1 tsp sugar for each cup of rice) and add to your rice.  Stir it in.  Then place your nori paper on a sushi rolling mat, spread rice over it, leaving an inch or so at the top free of rice (tip, this is easiest when your rice is hot).  Add your stuffings in a line near the bottom, then roll it up into a log using the mat to help.  Then with a sharp serrated knife you can cut your log into slices.



If you're lucky enough to have a friend who goes to Japan on a regular basis, perhaps you can get some sushi beautiful sushi plates like these (thanks Suzanne)!!  Doesn't that look tasty??!!  Well, it was.  We stuffed ourselves.


And what birthday party would be complete without cupcakes??  In this case peanut butter cupcakes with chocolate frosting.  I got the recipe for these beauties from Isa Chandra Moskawitz and Terry Hope Romero's cookbook "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World"  (I love love love this cookbook).  They were to die for.  So super amazing, even the kids loved them.  I didn't bother to tell them they were vegan.


My son's actual birthday is next weekend.  He has already picked out Oreo cookie and cream cupcakes for me to make for his class.  So perhaps I will wow you with more cupcake pictures next week!

Until then.....  happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment