Welcome to my Blog! As you may have guessed, this blog started out as an experiment, but has turned into a way of living. It is mostly about food, but I reserve the right to share or rant or even point the odd finger. I hope you find it entertaining! I encourage your comments and questions!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Brussels Sprouts Grow on Trees!

Happy Halloween Everyone!

We woke this morning to a blanket of snow on the ground.  And it's early enough in the season for me to say that it was beautiful walking the dog in the fresh snow.  I'm sure I won't be quite as enthusiastic about the snow a couple of months from now, but today it was lovely.

We went to the local Farmer's Market yesterday and I bought this:

A Brussles sprout tree!!   Yes, this is how they grow, not acutally on trees but on long stalks.  Isn't that neat??  I remember my grandparents growing them in their garden.  So we got it home, I cut all the little sprouts off the stalk, washed and trimmed them.  Then I roasted them with some olive oil and salt and pepper.  Absolutely delicious.  I LOVE Brussels sprouts.  And if you've only ever had them boiled until they are mushy, you really must try them roasted.  Brussels sprouts get a bad rap because they are all too often improperly prepared.  Roasting brings out the sweet nutty goodness.

 So once your sprouts are roasted there are any number of things you can do with them:  toss them with some maple syrup and nuts and serve as a side dish, or pop them in your salad while they are still warm....  Today I decided to serve them on top of some ginger fried rice which I cooked with baby Bok Choy and the last of the Swiss chard from the garden.   I topped the whole dish with some toasted pine nuts.  Marvellous!!


I also attempted to make some potato knishes this weekend.  And I am sorry to say that it was not a happy ending.  Armed with a recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance (from which I have gotten some really great recipes), I prepared the stuffing for potato knishes and sweet potato knishes.  The filling was very tasty; however, the pastry destroyed the whole dish!  It was flat and tough and hard and just not nice.  I double and triple checked that I hadn't missed any steps or ingredients.  I kneeded until the dough was smooth, I rolled and floured....  How disappointing!  I love love love potato knishes.  Unfortunately they are not easy to find around here.  This is my second attempt at home made knishes, and both were flops.  I guess I will have to continue my recipe search.

I have the brand spanking new issues of Vegetarian Times AND VegNews to peruse.   And since American Thanksgiving is coming up, there are several meal suggestions for holiday dinners.   Too bad it's too late to help me with my Thanksgiving menu, but I just might find some smashing ideas for Christmas dinner!!!

Hohoho

No comments:

Post a Comment