Welcome to my Blog! As you may have guessed, this blog started out as an experiment, but has turned into a way of living. It is mostly about food, but I reserve the right to share or rant or even point the odd finger. I hope you find it entertaining! I encourage your comments and questions!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Making of Seitan 'Fried Chickin'

Now that I realize how amazing seitan is, and how easy it is to make, I've gone a little seitan crazy.  So after last week's stroganoff, this weekend I decided to tackle a Apple Cranberry Salad with Country Fried Seitan from the Vegan Yum Yum cookbook by Lauren Ulm.

I started making the seitan the night before.  Super simple...  mix vital wheat gluten with nutritional yeast, some spices then add a mixture of water, soy sauce, soy milk and olive oil.  Mix it up. Kneed it, and form it into cutlets.


Then simmer the seitan in 2 cups of vegetable broth for 20-30 minutes.  After that I stored it in the cooking broth in the fridge over night.


The next day I prepared the seasoned dry mix (flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder and Old bay seasoning), and the wet mix (1/3 cup of the dry mix plus water, soy milk and Dijon mustard).  And then I dipped the cutlets into the wet and then the dry mixtures....  just like fried chicken, I guess....  though I've never made fried chicken.




And then it's into the oil for frying....  about 3 minutes on each side.



To assemble the salad, tear up some romaine lettuce, slice up some apple, and the fried seitan, and sprinkle on some dried cranberries.  For the dressing, add 1/2 cup of sliced almonds, 1/2 cup of water, 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast, 1 1/2 tsp. soy sauce, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, 2 tsp. Dijon mustard and 1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning to the blender and blend until creamy.  Then drizzle the salad with dressing and enjoy! 


This salad is great for dinner topped with the nice warm 'chickin'.   And the next day I made myself a nice 'chickin' sandwich with the leftovers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment