Welcome to my Blog! As you may have guessed, this blog started out as an experiment, but has turned into a way of living. It is mostly about food, but I reserve the right to share or rant or even point the odd finger. I hope you find it entertaining! I encourage your comments and questions!

Monday, January 31, 2011

Mexican Meatless Monday!!

So I was looking for a little something different to throw together for dinner tonight.  I knew I wanted to make some guacamole to use up my avocados which were very ripe.  So I thought...  didn't I see a taco recipe with chickpeas in one of my magazines??  Of course I couldn't find the recipe I was looking for and I didn't want to spend all night looking.  But I came across another taco recipe that called for black beans and voila!  I substituted chickpeas, because I am the all powerful kitchen queen.  It turned out so well that I just have to share.  My kids gobbled this up and asked for more.  And asked if they could have it for lunch tomorrow.  You know it's a winner when that happens!!  So get your pencil ready!!

Take 1/2 cup of salsa, 1 tsp. of cumin and 2 minced garlic cloves and put them in a medium sized pot.  Add a can of chickpeas, or 1 1/2 cups of cooked chickpeas (mine were frozen).  Then cook it on medium high for about 10 minutes.  After that mush up some of the chickpeas with a potato masher or a fork and add 2 Tbsp. of chopped cilantro (or leave it out if you don't happen to have any on hand). 



Meanwhile thaw 1 cup of frozen corn in the microwave.  Pat the corn dry with a paper towel.  Warm up a frying pan and spray it with some olive oil or Pam or whatever (or don't).  Add the corn, 1 1/2 tsp of cumin, some ground black pepper and some cayenne pepper to taste and toast the corn for 5-10 minutes or until crispy and golden, stirring frequently.



Stuff your taco shells with chickpea mix, sprinkle on some corn add some salsa, lettuce, green onion or guacamole and enjoy!!



The second recipe I tried out was chocolate hazelnut biscotti.  I got this recipe from Veganomicon.  And it was not Mexican but it was delicious none the less.  And it gave me an opportunity to show off my pretty flow blue platter.  Bonus!!  Did you know that hazelnuts are also called filberts?


Happy Groundhog Day Fellow Foodies!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment