Welcome to my Blog! As you may have guessed, this blog started out as an experiment, but has turned into a way of living. It is mostly about food, but I reserve the right to share or rant or even point the odd finger. I hope you find it entertaining! I encourage your comments and questions!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Breakfast Mac Muffin

While in Toronto I came upon some tempeh...  it's not easy to find around here.  I was so excited to make tempeh bacon!  I found a recipe in The Vegan Table for tempeh bacon.... and watched a how to make tempeh bacon video by Colleen herself. I was totally prepared.  So I cut my tempeh into bacon sized slices, and steamed it for 10 minutes to remove the bitterness.  Then I marinated my tempeh in a mixture of soy sauce, maple syrup, liquid smoke and water for about an hour or so and fried it up with the marinade.



While the tempeh was marinating, I prepared some crustless mini quiches.  I modified a recipe that I found on fatfreevegan.com (http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12/mini-crustless-tofu-quiches.html) and replaced the chives with shallots.  Delicious...  mushrooms, red pepper, thyme....  Cooking them in muffin tins makes them just the right size...  and they cook faster than a large quiche.


To assemble the sandwich, we toasted our English muffins, added a bit of vegan mayonaise, layered on some tempeh bacon, a mini quiche and a tad of spinach and viola!!  Our delicious vegan version of the breakfast MacMuffin.


Bon Apetit!!

Tempeh on Foodista

1 comment:

  1. That's a delicious way to serve tempeh :)I followed you from the foodie blog roll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this tempeh widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about recipes for tempeh,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete