Welcome to my Blog! As you may have guessed, this blog started out as an experiment, but has turned into a way of living. It is mostly about food, but I reserve the right to share or rant or even point the odd finger. I hope you find it entertaining! I encourage your comments and questions!

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Roasted Lotus Root

Have you ever seen one of these before??  This is actually the root of the Lotus flower which is a perennial water plant native to tropical Asia and some parts of Australia.

I found mine at the Chinese Superstore (T&T) in Ottawa.  I think it was about $2.50 for two decent sized pieces. 

I found a recipe for it in Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet.  Her recipe called for leeks and sunchokes, but I couldn't find any sunchokes, so I just used the lotus root. 

I sliced my lotus root into fairly thin slices.  Then I pressed 3 garlic cloves with some olive oil and tossed the lotus root with the oil.  I spread the oiled sliced on a cookie sheet and put it into a preheated oven at 375 degrees F.  After 12 minutes I sprinkled the root slices with a mixture of 1 tsp. soy sauce and 1 Tbsp. maple syrup and flipped them over.  I then put them back in the oven for another 10 minutes. 

The roasted lotus root was really delicious.  They don't have a strong flavour, but the maple syrup makes them sweet and caramelizes nicely giving them a great texture.

I decided to serve them with a simple stir fry with cabbage, broccoli, carrot, asparagus, celery, oyster mushrooms, onions, peppers and cashews.  I used a vegetarian fish sauce and soy sauce with garlic, ginger and lime juice to season the stir fry and served it up on a bed of brown rice. 

Super delicious!!  Give it a try!!

No comments:

Post a Comment