Welcome to my Blog! As you may have guessed, this blog started out as an experiment, but has turned into a way of living. It is mostly about food, but I reserve the right to share or rant or even point the odd finger. I hope you find it entertaining! I encourage your comments and questions!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day 1

The first day of renovations is almost over and I am ready for a nice long bath.  The workers showed up all on time.  And I have to say they are a great bunch of guys.  Two workers from the kitchen renovation centre at Rona, KMac Electric's two guys, and the guy from the alarm company, and they all seem to know each other.  That is one of the amazing things about living in a small town!!

What was accomplished?  The doorways were blocked with plastic to try to contain the dust.  The alarm system was disconnected.  The electricity in the kitchen was disconnected.  All the cabinetry, the back splash, the first layer of wall board were all removed. The buffet was moved into the dining room.  I was pleased with the progress.  The kids got a kick out of finding a news paper from 1988 stuffed in the walls.  They were looking at the pictures and the prices of things and marvelling at how OLD it was.  When I pointed out that I had already graduated from high school in 1988, they began to marvel at how old I was!!






What didn't go according to plan?  The fridge was not moved to the basement (one more day of an accessible fridge can't be bad).  They will bring a dolly tomorrow to help with that job.  As well as no electricity in the kitchen, there is no electricity in my daughter's room.  I'm not sure how she will survive without her hair straightener!!  And for some reason, the cable is not working??  I don't know how that happened, but....  there you go! 

We have had to make a few adjustments.  We are now washing dishes in our downstairs powder room which we call the airplane bathroom due to it's size and the fact that it's tucked under the stairs which makes the ceiling slant down over the toilet.  So there is no vanity or counter to speak of and the sink is quite tiny.  I never thought I would be posting a picture of my bathroom.... but here it is....  We had a little production line going.  I washed, my son dried, and my daughter put the dishes back into their temporary homes.  Teamwork!!

While the workers were busily dissecting my kitchen, I couldn't really sit around and do nothing.  For some reason, I thought I was going to be needed during this initial work day to....  I don't know what.  But after some initial questions, mostly from me, they went about their work without my help.  So I decided, this would be a good time to work out in the garden.  I went to every garden centre in town and filled my car with bushes, grasses, ivies, geraniums...... Then the kids decided we needed more fish for the pond, so we got goldfish and pond plants as well.

Dinner consisted of veggie sausages on the BBQ.  Not elegant, but easy, and my daughter did the cooking, so I got to finish up with the flowers.

Tomorrow will begin with the arrival of the workers at 8:15 am.  The first order of the day is to move the fridge, so I will be emptying the fridge and freezer first thing.  In order to stay on schedule, they will need to finish the deconstruction by Friday, so that they can do the drywalling next week.  My fingers are crossed.  But now, it's time for a nice long bath.  I wonder if there is power in the bathroom....?


No comments:

Post a Comment