Welcome to my Blog! As you may have guessed, this blog started out as an experiment, but has turned into a way of living. It is mostly about food, but I reserve the right to share or rant or even point the odd finger. I hope you find it entertaining! I encourage your comments and questions!

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 2

These guys are awesome!  They have torn out nearly the whole kitchen in 2 days!  And this isn't any shoddy construction either.  This is a house built in the 1890's  with logs and stones and railway ties!  There are over 100 years of layers of renovations, and they are going down to the bare bones!!  It's almost a shame to see the 100 year old wood torn out and thrown in the dumpster.  But I was not sorry to see the funky 60's ceiling go today!!  Why would they would install a drop ceiling 3 inches under the plaster ceiling??  And then build false bulkheads at different levels which didn't even conceal anything??  Was this fashionable at some point?



In yesterday's pictures you can see the inch wide strapping with plaster in between.  What remains now is 6 inch wide 3/4 inch thick tongue and groove boards.  In this corner there is evidence that the house was on fire at some point!!  In some places there are traces of two layers of old wallpaper remaining on the wall where the cupboards were.  I'm almost sad to see these little traces of history removed.  How many years has this been buried behind the cabinetry?  What did the room look like back then?  Was it always a kitchen?  I imagine at one point the room containing an old Hoosier and and ice box....  a big old enameled wood stove and a sink with a hand pump!  And here I am complaining about having to cook in the microwave and wash dishes in the bathroom sink!!


They managed to get the fridge down the narrow staircase to the basement this morning.  They had to remove the doors and still it barely fit!  I hope I never have to bring it back up!!

Despite the plastic barrier, everything in the house is covered in a layer of dust.   I had to take up the carpet in the dining room to ensure it's survival.  But we made it through day 2 on schedule.  And the cable mysteriously returned over night much to my son's relief.  The dumpster is already full.  I wonder where they are going to put the rest of the rubbish....

But for now, I think I will kick back and watch a film! 

No comments:

Post a Comment