Welcome to my Blog! As you may have guessed, this blog started out as an experiment, but has turned into a way of living. It is mostly about food, but I reserve the right to share or rant or even point the odd finger. I hope you find it entertaining! I encourage your comments and questions!

Sunday, May 29, 2011

One Week Down!!

What makes a renovation so stressful?  Yes, it is inconvenient, but we tend to plan for that and simplify things to compensate.  It's dirty....  but that can be ignored.  For me, I think it's the chaos of not having things in their place.  I tend to feel calmer when things are tidy and in their place.  This past week I have noticed that I have less patience with the kids, and the dog.  But the good news is that the longer you live with a situation, the more it begins to feel like the norm.  Things find new places, you develop a new way of doing things.  And hopefully the stress lessens.

I have included a picture of the corner bearing the evidence of a fire.  It's just in one corner, and the fact that only the outer walls are charred makes me think that it happened a VERY long time ago.  There is also evidence of a stove being in that corner at one point, so I'm guessing that was the source of the fire.  Close call!!


The project is progressing well.  The deconstruction is just about done, and the reconstruction has begun!  Thursday we went into Cornwall Lighting to pick up the rest of the lighting fixtures..... pot lights for the ceiling and strip lighting for the under cabinet lighting.  I chose LED lighting for the lighting over the stove, the sink and in the glass door cabinets.  This is supposed to be the most energy efficient choice.  Unfortunately, the LED pot lights on the market today are not strong enough for 10 foot ceilings, but eventually I should be able to replace the bulbs in my pot lights for LED bulbs when the technology has progressed.

Friday Kirk and his apprentice Adam from KMac Electric put in the new wiring.  And this week the plan is to finish the wiring, and put up all the dry wall on the ceiling and walls.  Very exciting!!

As I write, I have chili cooking in the crock pot.  These days I am all about simplicity.  I chopped up 2 onions, mushrooms, and some peppers.  Then I added a packet of chili seasoning, a can of diced tomatoes, a can of pureed tomatoes, a can of tomato paste, and a can of kidney beans.  I put it in the crock pot and put it on high for 6 hours.  It's starting to smell good!!  Hopefully this will fill our bellies for the next couple of days.

On to week two!!

No comments:

Post a Comment