Welcome to my Blog! As you may have guessed, this blog started out as an experiment, but has turned into a way of living. It is mostly about food, but I reserve the right to share or rant or even point the odd finger. I hope you find it entertaining! I encourage your comments and questions!

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Dumplings

Greetings Fellow Foodies!! 

It has been a very busy weekend and I have been cooking up a storm.  But I'm going to keep it short.  I just have two dishes to share today.  One is my Couscous Salad that is becoming quite popular!  With it's light, fresh taste, it's really not surprising.  I never get tired of it.  The couscous is cooked with some spices and broth.  Then I throw in some chickpeas, peppers, zucchini, shredded carrot, raisins and apple and toss it with a citrus vinegrette.  I used to chop the carrot, but it's much nicer shredded.



The second dish is a recipe that I recieved from a friend:  sweet potato and butternut squash dumplings.  I picked up some vegan wonton wrappers at my favorite Chinese grocery store in Ottawa, so I decided to give these a go.  They are pretty fun to make.  The filling is just mashed sweet potato and butternut squash that I had roasted, then I added some grated carrot, ginger, garlic and cilantro.  Then place the stuffing in the middle of your wonton wrapper and fold it up.  I like to braise mine in a little oil, but they can be baked, fried or steamed as well.   My friend says they are also good in a soup.  But that is an experiment for another day.



My teenaged daughter and my boyfriend both gave these a 9 out of 10.  The only thing to get a perfect 10 so far has been my spanikopita.   I have a recipe for potato knishes that I am anxious to try.  Perhaps that will be next weekend's experiment!

Also just another little tidbit...  my daughter's acne seems much better since we have eliminated all the animal products from our home.  But, shhhhh......  that's our little secret.



No comments:

Post a Comment