Welcome to my Blog! As you may have guessed, this blog started out as an experiment, but has turned into a way of living. It is mostly about food, but I reserve the right to share or rant or even point the odd finger. I hope you find it entertaining! I encourage your comments and questions!

Monday, October 11, 2010

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!  Let me begin by saying that I am thankful for having the opportunity to try so many new and amazing recipes and for being able to share it with so many fabulous friends and family!  I am truly blessed.

We had our family Thanksgiving dinner at my mother's home this year.  Seeing that this was my first Thanksgiving as a vegan, I brought lots of food with me.  I made Muhammara, a roasted red pepper and walnut dip and a pumpkin curry, both of which I found in The Vegan Table.  Unfortunately, besides myself and my boyfriend, only my uncle chose to try any of it.  I suppose it was a start.

My crock pot is becoming my best friend!  It has sat unused in the cupboard for months, but I have discovered that it is very handy when you are bringing food with you everywhere!!  Now I just have to figure out a better way of transporting it.  It tends to slosh around a bit in the trunk.

I have to rave about  a couple of recipes that I found in Vegan with a Vengeance.  Her 'Best Pumpkin Muffins' really are THE BEST!!  My advice is to stock up on pumpkin puree while it is on sale and make lots of these.  I can't keep them around.  The kids and all their friends love them!! The second one is her vegan Spanikopita.  I took them to a girl's night party and they were hugely popular, even with the teenagers!   And I remembered to take a photo of them before they disappeared!!


Not only were they delicious, they were fun to make!  I've never made anything with phyllo dough before, so I was a bit nervous about it, but now I want to wrap everything in phyllo dough!   These are stuffed with a beautifully seasoned tofu and spinach mixture, but I can imagine a tofu mushroom mixture or a tofu sun dried tomato mixture.  I have another batch of phyllo dough in the freezer, so I'll let you know how they turn out!

1 comment:

  1. I am happy to report that these spanikopita freeze and reheat pretty well in the oven. I thawed them for a couple of hours and then popped them back in the oven at 350 F for 5 minutes or so. I will keep this in mind for my next party!!

    ReplyDelete