Welcome to my Blog! As you may have guessed, this blog started out as an experiment, but has turned into a way of living. It is mostly about food, but I reserve the right to share or rant or even point the odd finger. I hope you find it entertaining! I encourage your comments and questions!

Monday, October 4, 2010

One Month In

It has been almost a month now since the beginning of my 'Vegan Experiment', and I am no longer thinking of it as an experiment.  There have been some challenges, some slip ups, and some cravings, but over all I'm going to call it a raving success!!

The challenges were finding new foods to replace some of the old go-to foods, being invited to meals at the homes of non-vegans, and eating out.  I have learned about tofu, and nutritional yeast.  I have tried several new recipes, bought new cookbooks, watched cooking videos on the internet, and found some great websites.  Just this weekend I was able to throw together a tofu scramble without guidance and my boyfriend and I were thoroughly impressed!  Brunch is a meal that I was sure was going to be a thing of the past, but it may just become my favorite meal of all.  I have been spoiled by a friend eager to try out a vegan dinner menu, and I have eaten out successfully on several occasions. 

There have been some slips as well.  Realizing there were eggs in my favorite Pad Thai, and lactose in my potato chips....  But listening to Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's podcasts where she admitted that even she slips up every once in a while was very comforting.  Nobody is perfect.  But this has increased my confidence in adhering to my newly vegan ideals. 

As for the cravings, they are becoming less frequent.  I do sometime still crave the creamy texture of dairy products in my food.  But I have found some very satisfying ways to feed them.  Hummus has that nice creamy texture, and it is my go-to snack food at the moment.  I discovered a tasty dip called skordalia prepared with potatoes, almonds and tons of garlic which is a nice replacement for my beloved tzatziki.  I have tried some cheese replacements, but I don't think they will become a diet staple.  In my opinion, nutritional yeast has more potential to fill that cheesy void.  But it's nice to have the option of enjoying some familiar food like pizza and brochetta.

I prepared an amazing salad this weekend with the rainbow beets and fresh organic greens from the market.  I roasted a bunch of rainbow beets with some chunks of carrot and halved new baby potatoes with olive oil, thyme and salt until they were tender and browned.  Then I served them warm on a bed of fresh greens with a drizzle of balsamic vinegrette.  It was absolutely delicious!!  I only wish I had taken a picture of it to share.  I think I'll keep my camera in the kitchen from now on.....

No comments:

Post a Comment