Welcome to my Blog! As you may have guessed, this blog started out as an experiment, but has turned into a way of living. It is mostly about food, but I reserve the right to share or rant or even point the odd finger. I hope you find it entertaining! I encourage your comments and questions!

Friday, June 10, 2011

Fabulous Flooring!!

This week has been tough.  I'm not sure why it was harder than the last two.  Things didn't seem to move as quickly as in the last two weeks, and there was one day when there was no one here working at all.  In the defense of the crew, the reason there was no one here on Tuesday is because the plaster guy came on Saturday morning, and finished up a day early.  The other crew hadn't planned for that and were busy on another project.  I know this is not the only project taking place in the world right now.... but I'm very anxious to see the end of this 'adventure'. 

Alot has been accomplished this week, despite my whining!  The walls are all prepared, painted and ready for the next step.  In this regard I am ahead of schedule, because I hadn't planned to paint until the end.  I'm still working on the spindles on the stairs.  The dreaded spindles which are a pain in the patutie to paint.  I can't even count how many spindles I have painted since moving into this house.  With the deck, the wrap around porch and both the front and back stairs decked out in oodles of spindles.....  I've done my share.  I still need to do one more coat on the railing this weekend, and slap a coat on the wall behind where the fridge will be (I forgot that bit).



The heating coils have been installed and flooded with cement, and today the membrane was laid and about half the tiles have now been installed.  Last night while the cement was drying we were not allowed to set foot in the kitchen at all.  This means we couldn't even get down to the fridge in the basement.  So we went out for dinner.  You'd think that would be a treat, but as far as I am aware, there is only one restaurant in Alexandria that has a vegan meal on the menu.  It is a vegetarian stir fry and it's not bad, but it costs 17$.  So, going out to eat in town, is really not something I look forward to.

That being said....  the floor is going to be stunning.  I absolutely LOVE it.  I'm so glad I went with the travartine instead of the porcelain tile.  Each tile is unique and has a personality all it's own.  To me it is reminiscent of an old world stone floor.  It goes so beautifully with the dark cabinetry and the 'brazil nut' beige walls.  It makes it easier to image how the room will look completed.  And I can just imagine the warm stone under my feet in the cold winter months.  No regrets here!!


Now to figure out what to make for dinner!!

1 comment: