Welcome to my Blog! As you may have guessed, this blog started out as an experiment, but has turned into a way of living. It is mostly about food, but I reserve the right to share or rant or even point the odd finger. I hope you find it entertaining! I encourage your comments and questions!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Painting Party!!

Picking paint colours can be challenging.  Especially when you have to imagine what the room will look like with cabinets and a floor and countertops.  I was fortunate to have a sample cabinet door, a piece of the granite I chose and samples of the floor tiles and backsplash.  Beige was the obvious choice, but I was afraid it would be a bit boring with a room full of beige and brown.  So I tried a yellow.  Unfortunately, after bringing home the yellow and painting a sample...  I wasn't quite sure.  So I called in the girls for a second opinion.  The yellow was voted out and I decided to go with...... beige.



I have to recognize my awesome gang of gals that stepped up to help me paint!  The walls were done in no time.  I had the kitchen installation crew do the ceiling, so we were spared that unpleasant task!

Today the ceilings were done, and the floor guys showed up to do some prep work.  Tomorrow they install the heating coils and the self levelling cement.  And Friday Ranger begins the floor tile installation.  This is scheduled to take 4 days. 

I paid a visit to George the granite guy this week to let him know that by sometime next week, he will be able to take the pattern for the counter tops.  He says he needs 4 days between taking the pattern and doing the installation!   This is totally unheard of in the granite world from what I have heard.  Other places take up to 6 weeks to get the counter top installed.  He has slabs of granite stacked outside his workshop, and you can peruse his wares any time of the day or night.  I have wandered through his stacks several times and settled on one particular stone with lots of personality.  It is going to look smashing on the island.

My main concern is getting the granite in asap, since I can't get my stove top put in until that happens.  But it looks like that won't happen for a couple more weeks.  Sigh.  Keep your eyes on the prize.........

2 comments:

  1. It's been a while but I had some time while the cookies were baking (yes they contain butter and milk chocolate much to your dismay and my kids delight)to catch up on your blog. You make vegan sound so tasty that I just may have to add a vegan day to our no red meat ever and other meat only twice a week (as long as I don't have to touch it) routine. Your kitchen reno is going almost as smoothly as mine but yours in so much more involved I'm very impressed. I can't wait to bring a bottle of wine and sit at the new granite island. (Just in case anyone doesn't believe you, the old kitchen really sucked and this project is way overdue!) I only wish I could have been part of the painting crew but then you've seen me paint a pool and know that's probably not a good idea. Keep up the positive attitude and you never did get back to how your cleanse went...(it always makes me think of getting ready for a colonoscopy when people say cleanse) Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for a vegan day! I can give you some vegan cookie and cake recipes and the kids will not even miss the dairy or eggs!! Perhaps I will post some once this renovation is done!! I can't wait for the wine date!! That is also long overdue. :o)

    ReplyDelete