Welcome to my Blog! As you may have guessed, this blog started out as an experiment, but has turned into a way of living. It is mostly about food, but I reserve the right to share or rant or even point the odd finger. I hope you find it entertaining! I encourage your comments and questions!

Monday, June 6, 2011

On to Week 3.... And Tzatziki!

Here we are in the third week of kitchen renovations.  Things really don't look that different from my post on Thursday, though there has been some progress.  The walls have received their 3 coats of plaster and have been sanded, and are now ready for priming.  The new plumbing for the sinks has been set up.  And this morning at 6 am sharp, the guys from Ranger flooring showed up to remove the old lacklustre linoleum.  Good riddance!!

The plaster guy came out on Saturday morning to put on a coat of plaster, and so he finished ahead of schedule.  This got me very excited and I started counting days and planning for the granite installation.  I was however, a  little premature since apparently Mario cannot return until Wednesday to do the painting, and Ranger is booked until Thursday and cannot begin the floor installation until then.  So....  tomorrow the only plan is for the girls and I to prime the walls. But I'm just realizing that there is no light in the kitchen....  hmmmm.

I spent some time in my make-shift kitchen area today, because, let's face it....  convenience food is making me fat.  I have been consoling myself with veggie burgers and veggie sausages on white bread buns, with a side of potato chips.  This is not a diet that a woman over 18 can sustain for any period of time without having to break out the 'fat pants'. 

A couple weeks ago we picked up some food from my favorite vegan restaurant in Montreal, Aux Vivres.  If you live anywhere near Montreal, you simply must go.  Try the coconut BLT.  And once you've had that, try the gyro pita.  Seitan gyro smothered in the most authentic vegan tzatziki.  I wanted that pita to go on forever.  That tzatziki inspired me to search the Internet for the ultimate vegan tzatziki recipe.  And I found a very good one made with ingredients I happened to have on hand! Here's the recipe:



Vegan Tzatziki Recipe
1 package of firm silken tofu
1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp sea salt
Put all this in the food processor and mix until smooth.  Then add:
2-3 cloves of garlic chopped
2 Tbsp. olive oil
pepper to taste
Mix again in the food processor then remove to a bowl.
Peel one cucumber, slice in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.  Then grate it onto several layers of paper towel.  Once it's all grated squeeze the cucumber inside the paper towel to get out as much moisture as you can.  Add it to the tofu mixture and mix.  If you like you can add dill or mint, but I like mine just like that.   mmmmmmm. Creamy, garlicky goodness!! 

Tonight's menu consisted of crock pot vegetable barley soup, and bagette with tzatziki.  A small step up from vegan junk food.  But I have to say it feels good to be trying new recipes again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment