Welcome to my Blog! As you may have guessed, this blog started out as an experiment, but has turned into a way of living. It is mostly about food, but I reserve the right to share or rant or even point the odd finger. I hope you find it entertaining! I encourage your comments and questions!

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Pie in my New Oven!

Oh Happy Day!  I can cook again!  Friday they got my new ovens installed!  It was quite a feat since they weigh a ton (more than the refrigerator!) and it requires both electrical and water hook ups, and no one had ever installed one like this before.  This is a KitchenAid double oven with convection and steam capabilities.  It's totally digital and it can bake, broil, reheat, keep warm, steam and dehydrate!!  I have no idea how to use it, but it'll be fun figuring it out.



Most of the cabinets are installed, including the breakfast bar.  This is where the microwave, the toaster, kettle, coffee maker etc. will be stored, along with the mugs and tea and coffee.  In the lower cabinets I plan to store my smaller electrical appliances such as blender, waffle maker, crock pot etc. I have painted the wall behind the breakfast bar blue to bring a little colour into the room.  I wasn't sure of it at first, but I think it's growing on me.  What do you think??



Once the oven was installed, I was itching to get something into it, so I picked some rhubarb, got some strawberries from the market, and whipped up a strawberry-rhubarb crumb pie.  I used a frozen pie crust since I don't yet have counters.  Here's the recipe I threw together:



Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Pie
4 cups of rhubarb chopped
1 to 1 1/2 pints of strawberries hulled and sliced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
zest of 1/2 lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon

Mix these ingredients together in a big bowl and let it sit for a while, until the sugar dissolves and some liquid forms in the bowl.  Then add:

3 Tbsp corn starch
1 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix well.  Put the fruit mixture into your pie crust.

For the topping mix together 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup oats and 3-4 Tbsp (or as much as you need) of vegan margarine like Earth Balance until it's crumbly.  Then place it carefully on top of your pie and pat it gently in place. 

Cook in a 400 degree F oven for 20 minutes and then turn the temperature down to 350 and cook another 30-40 minutes.

Allow it to cool for a bit before digging in! 

No comments:

Post a Comment